Michael practices in the following areas: Social Security Disability, Veterans Administration Disability Claims, Immigration, Wills and Estates and Litigation (Personal Injury and Business). He was named to Business North Carolina Magazine’s “Legal Elite/Young Guns” for 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. (selection criteria available at www.businessnc.com). North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine named him a “Rising Star” for 2010-2013 and 2015 (selection criteria available at www.superlawyers.com). Triad Business Journal named him one of “Forty Leaders Under 40” for 2009.
Michael served as chair of the North Carolina Bar Association (NCBA) Young Lawyers’ Division from July 2014-June 2015. He served as North Carolina District 9 Representative to the American Bar Association (ABA) Young Lawyers’ Division from 2010 to 2012. Michael won the NCBA Young Lawyers’ Division’s “Service to the Public Award” in 2011 for his contributions to pro bono legal services.
Michael regularly appears on television stations WXII and WFMY to provide legal commentary. Michael blogs at www.southernlawyernc.blogspot.com, and he is on Twitter @slnc01. He has practiced law for over 10 years, and he holds a B.A. in history from the University of Virginia and a law degree from Wake Forest University School of Law.
Michael is married to Jillian Brevorka, who is a lawyer in Greensboro where the couple resides. In his free time he enjoys spending time with his family, reading, writing, drawing and exercising. Michael is a published author. To date, he has published numerous articles, two short stories and a poem.
- Chair, North Carolina Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, July 2014 – June 2015
- Chair-elect, NCBA Young Lawyers Division, 2013-2014
- Executive Committee, Center Point Human Services, 2014
- Board Member, Center Point Human Services, 2013-2014
- Participant, NCBA Leadership Academy, 2013
- Member, Forsyth County Bar Association Ethics & Grievance Committee, 2012 – June 2015
- Administrative Division Director, NCBA Young Lawyers Division, 2012 – 2013
- District Representative, American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division Leadership Council, 2010 – 2012
- Secretary, Financial Pathways of Northwest North Carolina, 2014 – 2015
- Board Member, Financial Pathways of Northwest North Carolina, 2011 – 2015
- Co-Chair, NCBA Young Lawyers Division Project Grace Committee, 2010 – 2012
- Co-Chair, NCBA Young Lawyers Division Law & Aging Committee, 2009 – 2010
- Participant, Leadership Winston-Salem, 2009 – 2010
- Commissioner, Winston-Salem Recreation and Parks Commission, 2006 – 2012
- Member, Wake Forest University Law Alumni Council, 2006 – 2007
- President, University of Virginia Club of Winston-Salem, 2006 – 2011.
- Social Security disability
- Veterans Administration disability claims
- Wills & Estates
- Litigation (Personal Injury and Business)
- State of North Carolina
- The United States Federal District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- The United States Federal District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- Forsyth County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association (Former Member of the Board of Governors)
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2015
- Business North Carolina Magazine, Legal Elite Young Guns, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014
- Younger Lawyer Pro Bono Service Award, North Carolina Bar Association (NCBA) Young Lawyers Division, 2011
- 1st Place Service to the Public Award for ‘Project Grace’, American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, 2009 – 2010
- The Triad Business Journal, 40 Leaders Under Forty, 2009
- Wake Forest University School of Law, J D, 2004
- University of Virginia, BA, 2001